1. Remember, it is all about the prep. Take away the stress by doing the prep the night or day before. You’ll look like a domestic God/Goddess.
2. Take the meat out of the fridge and allow it to get to room temperature. Most cooking times and temperatures aren’t from -5! Same applies to eggs and butter for baking.
3. If cooking a whole turkey bear in mind the legs take longer to cook. When the crown is cooked, remove the legs, wrap the crown in foil, put the legs back in to finish cooking. This helps keep the crown tender and not overcooked.
4. To cut pancetta or bacon into lardons, put it in the freezer for 15 minutes. This will firm up the meat and make it easier to cut.
5. Recipes are only guidelines, not the Bible (except for baking which does require a certain amount of accuracy!). Feel comfortable replacing ingredients with similar ingredients which you like if you have forgotten to buy them! If you like oregano but not thyme, use oregano.